Schools of Choice
Schools of Choice
Allendale Public Schools participates in both the Ottawa Area Intermediate School District (OAISD) Schools of Choice plan and the state authorized Section 105c plan. The application period for the 2019-2020 school year is open through August 29, 2019.
The schools of choice provisions in Section 105 and 105c of the State School Aid Act allow local school districts to enroll non-resident students. Section 105 permits local school districts to enroll students who reside within the same intermediate school district (Ottawa Area Intermediate School District). SECTION 105 APPLICATIONS FOR NEW STUDENTS WILL BE ACCEPTED THROUGH AUGUST 29, 2019 FOR THE 2019/2020 SCHOOL YEAR. Response time is 3 business days from receipt of application. Please note: applications received during summer months may take longer to process based on previous school verification.
Section 105c allows enrollment of students who reside in school districts in contiguous intermediate school districts. SECTION 105C APPLICATIONS FOR NEW STUDENTS WILL BE ACCEPTED THROUGH AUGUST 29, 2019 FOR THE 2019/2020 SCHOOL YEAR. Response time is 3 business days from receipt of application. Please note: applications received during summer months may take longer to process based on previous school verification.
The district may deny a new non-resident enrollment due to any of the following reasons:
- The student was suspended from the previous school district within the past two school years.
- The student was expelled from a previous school district.
- The student has been convicted of a felony.
Important Considerations for Parents and Students Applying for Schools-of-Choice:
Transportation is not provided for schools-of-choice enrollees; parents must provide their own transportation to and from school for children accepted for enrollment, or transport their children to and from the nearest available Allendale bus stop.
- According to the rules of the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) there is a 60 school day ineligibility period for athletic participation for schools of choice enrollees in grades 10-12. See www.mhsaa.com for more information.
- A student enrolled under Section 105c is eligible or becomes eligible for special education services following enrollment, the enrolling district and the district of residence must have a written agreement regarding the payment of added costs of special education programs and services for the student to continue to be enrolled by non-resident district.
The School of Choice form may be completed electronically, downloaded/printed, or forms are available at the District Office, located inside Oakwood Intermediate School, Door A.
District Administration Office
10505 Learning Lane
Allendale MI 49401